School nursing services
School nursing services provide specialist nursing care, advice and support to school-age children and young people to enable optimal health and wellbeing.
School nursing services provide a valuable link between health and education services. The service includes school nurses, community nurses and healthcare assistants. They work in partnership with each child and their family, as well as other professionals including health visitors, general practitioners (GPs), community dentists, dieticians, physiotherapists, hospitals, teachers, social workers, and child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) where appropriate.
The teams visits schools regularly to provide a wide range of services at different ages and stages. Services promote the good health and wellbeing of school-aged children and young people and include:
- Asthma support and education
- Child protection
- Diabetes and epilepsy
- Education, training and support is offered to all schools to assist with managing children with chronic disease, long term conditions and management of anaphylaxis in schools
- Enuresis (bedwetting) and daytime wetting or soiling
- Exercise and healthy eating
- Hearing and vision screening
- Immunisations programme
- Weighing and measuring
Children with special needs
If a child is not making progress at school, he/she may need additional support from other services. The school nurse acts as the key health professional for these children in coordinating health information from other professionals and attending and contributing to school assessments.
Eligibility criteria and referrals
For details, choose a service from the list below the map.
Where can you find this service?
- AKensington and Chelsea and Westminster School Health Servicemore service details
- BHillingdon School Nursing Servicemore service details
- CMilton Keynes School Nursing ServiceStantonbury Health Centre, Purbeck, Stantonbury, Milton Keynes, MK14 6BLmore service details
- DCamden School Nursing ServiceGospel Oak Health Centre, telephone
020 3317 5861
Hunter Streeet Health Centre, telephone 020 3317 2304more service details