Foot care (podiatry) services
Foot care (podiatry) services provide assessment, treatment and advice for people with skin, nail or mechanical foot problems, and for people with diabetes.
Foot care services are provided by a team of state registered podiatrists and trained podiatry assistants in hospital, clinics and community settings, prisons, and in the patient’s home. The main aims of the service are to maintain tissue viability, improve foot function and control pain.
Foot problems include a range of different conditions, and patients may have complications arising from more than one condition. There are three main groups requiring foot care:
- People with a disease which puts the feet at risk (for example, diabetics)
- People with disabling foot conditions (for example, arthritic conditions)
- People needing basic foot care
Podiatrists specialise in foot-related conditions that cause pain, particularly those that affect mobility.
Treatments range from general foot care to addressing complex musculoskeletal conditions and services include:
- Removal of corns and calluses
- Treating problematic nails, such in-growing nails
- Treatments for ulcers, and wounds
- Treatment for mechanical hip, knee, heel or foot pain and sports injuries
- Diabetic foot assessment and treatment
- Assessment and provision of insoles or orthotics (custom-made inserts that fit inside the shoe) if required
- Advice on maintaining mobility and prevention of falls
- Treatment of painful verrucae
- General foot care advice
Eligibility and referral criteria
Eligibility and referrals vary according to location. For details, choose a service from the list below the map.
Where can you find this service?
- AMilton Keynes Podiatry ServiceBletchley Therapy Unit, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6ENmore service details
- BHillingdon Podiatry ServiceContact Centre, Kirk House97-109 High Street, Yiewsley, Middlesex, UB7 7HJ more service details
- CCamden Foot Care (Podiatry) ServicePeckwater Centre, 6 Peckwater Street, London, NW5 2UXmore service details