Neurological and community rehabilitation services
Neurological and community rehabilitation services provide physical rehabilitation for patients with neurological conditions, in community and inpatient settings.
Services care for patients with a range of neurological conditions, such as stroke multiple sclerosis (MS), motor neurone disease (MND), Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy.
Services usually comprise multi-disciplinary teams including nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, clinical neurological psychologists, dieticians and rehabilitation assistants.
Teams work together with patients, their families and carers to help them to set rehabilitation goals over a fixed period of time. The goals are intended to help the individual to return to the highest level of function and independence, and improve their overall quality of life. These goals may address the following:
- Help with daily activities such as washing and dressing, using the toilet, writing, cooking and eating
- Speech therapy, to address swallowing, speech and communication difficulties
- An exercise programme designed to improve function, safety, and efficiency of movement, and to strengthen muscles and bones, etc
- Helping the individual to regain their social skills, and involve them in group activities
- Helping them with walking, gait and balance
- Providing advice on diet and nutrition
- Providing activities to help improve cognitive impairments, such as difficulties with concentration, attention, memory, etc
- Providing psychological support and counselling to address anxiety and depression
Eligibility criteria and referrals
Eligibility criteria and referrals vary according to location. For details, choose a service from the list below the map.
Where can you find this service?
- AHillingdon Parkinson's Nursing ServiceLaurel Lodge, Harlington Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3HDmore service details
- BMilton Keynes Neurological Rehabilitation ServiceBletchley Community Hospital, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6ENmore service details
- CMilton Keynes Neurological Clinical Specialist Team (NCST)Bletchley Community Hospital, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6ENmore service details
- DMilton Keynes Early Stroke Rehabilitation TeamIntermediate Care Services, Old Windsor Ward, Bletchley Community Hospital, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6ENmore service details
- EHillingdon Community Rehabilitation TeamContact Centre, Kirk House, 97-109 High Street, Yiewsley, Middlesex, UB7 7HJmore service details
- FSt Pancras Rehabilitation UnitSouth Wing, St Pancras Hospital, 4 St Pancras Way, London, NW1 0PEmore service details
- GCamden Neurological and Stroke ServiceSouth Wing, St Pancras Hospital, 4 St Pancras Way, London, NW1 0PEmore service details
- HHawthorn Intermediate Care Unit, HillingdonThe Woodlands Centre, Hillingdon Hospital, Pield Heath Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3NNmore service details
- IWindsor Intermediate Care Unit, Milton KeynesWindsor Intermediate Care Unit, Dovecote Manor, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6ENmore service details