Liaison psychiatry bridges the gap between physical and mental healthcare.
Our services provide mental healthcare to people being treated for physical illness in general hospitals, whether they attend out-patient clinics, are admitted to inpatient wards or or present to the A&E department. The co-occurrence of mental and physical health problems is common among these patients, often leading to poorer health outcomes, delayed discharges and increased use of healthcare resources.
Our aim is to improve patient experience, quality and efficiency of service in the general hospitals by focusing on the significant number of patients that have mental health problems complicating their care and discharge. Some problems that may be referred to liaison psychiatry include:
- Psychological reactions to physical illness
- Deliberate self-harm
- Medically unexplained symptoms
- Organic mental disorders: delirium and dementia
- Alcohol and substance misuse
- Mental illness related to childbirth
- Diagnostic difficulties
- Abnormal illness behaviour
- Behavioural disturbance
- Medico-legal decisions
- Assessment of capacity to refuse medical treatment
Our staff are based in some of London’s largest general and specialist hospitals to help detect mental health problems early and provide the necessary support.
How to access these services
Referrals are made through the general hospital by a health professional.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can you find this service?
- ACentral Middlesex Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryCentral Middlesex Hospital Central Way, off Acton Lanemore service details
- BChelsea and Westminster Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryChelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 9NHmore service details
- CHarefield Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryHarefield Hospital, Hill End Road, Harefield, Greater London, UB9 6JHmore service details
- DHillingdon Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryHillingdon Hospital, Pield Heath Road, Uxbridge, Greater London, UB8 3NNmore service details
- EMilton Keynes Hospital: Mental Health Hospital Liaison TeamEaglestone Health Centre, Standing Way, Milton Keynes, MK6 5AZmore service details
- FNorthwick Park Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryNorthwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Greater London, HA1 3UJmore service details
- GRoyal Marsden Hospital: Liaison PsychiatryRoyal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, SW3 6JJmore service details
- HSt Mary's Hospital: Liaison PsychiatrySt Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, London, W2 1NYmore service details