Perinatal mental health
Perinatal mental health is designed to meet the physical and mental health needs of all women who are booked to deliver their baby at St Mary’s or Hillingdon Hospital.
The service offers assessment and ongoing management to enhance maternity care for women and their families.
What does the service offer?
- Preconception advice for women on psychiatric medication and promotion of positive mental health
- Advice on prescribing psychiatric medication in pregnancy and lactation
- Assessment and management of mental health needs of expectant mothers. Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on psychiatric conditions. Assessment of the risk of relapse in the postnatal period with a view of formulating a management plan to minimise the risk.
- Screening for bonding and attachment related difficulties
- Management planning for women with severe and enduring mental illness booked for delivery at St Mary’s or Hillingdon Maternity Unit in partnership with local community mental health teams
- Assessment and management of psychiatric emergencies on the maternity and neonatology/paediatric units or perinatal psychiatric emergencies attending A&E
- Assessment for suitability for medium to long term psychological intervention - these are specialist perinatal psychology services such as Talking Therapies or secondary psychotherapy services
- Training and supervision of midwives, Health Visitors and allied professionals.
Where can you find this service?
- AHillingdon Hospital: Perinatal Mental Health ServicePerinatal Mental Health Service - Department of Psychological Medicine The Hillingdon Hospital Pinn Ward Riverside Centre Pield Heath Road , Uxbridge, UB8 3NN more service details
- BSt Mary's Hospital: Perinatal Mental Health ServiceSt Mary's HospitalPerinatal Psychiatry Service Praed Street , London , W2 1NYmore service details
Dr Maddalena Miele
Consultant in Perinatal Psychiatry
Dr Miele established the Perinatal Mental Health service at St Mary’s Hospital in 2009 in partnership with the St Mary’s maternity unit.readprofile