External employment services

CNWL Employment Services works alongside, and in partnership with, a range of employment, volunteering, training and education services in each of the boroughs we provide mental health services for.

These external organisations can help you find work if there isn’t an employment specialist available in your care team. You can also access these programmes if you’ve been discharged from CNWL services.

Follow the links at the bottom of this page to find out what’s available in your borough.

There are two Government programmes aimed at helping people to find and keep jobs: Work Choice and the Work Programme. They’re both funded by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and are delivered by different organisations in each borough.

What’s the difference and who are they for?

Work Choice:

  • Is for people with a ‘significant’ disability which means they find it difficult to get or keep a job
  • Is a voluntary programme
  • Works with Jobcentre Plus (JCP). CNWL can also refer people to the service
  • Is available in three tiers:
    • Work Entry Support – help to find a job (for up to 6 months)
    • In-Work Support - help to start work and stay in your job (for up to 2 years)
    • Longer-term In-Work Support – help to get on in your job and work without support (long term)

The Work Programme:

  • Is for people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance and Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) claimants
  • Is compulsory for :
    • JSA claimants aged 18 – 24 (after 12 months)
    • JSA claimants aged 25 or more (after nine months)
    • JSA claimants who are ‘seriously disadvantaged’ in the job market
    • ESA income-related work-related activity group (when expected to be fit for work)
    • Is voluntary for:
      • All other ESA claimants
      • Income Support and Incapacity Benefits claimants
      • Is run by different companies in different boroughs – see the links below for your area

You can find full details on the Government website: visit the links above.

Other employment services:

Each borough also has a range of additional employment services, some of which specialise in working with people with mental health, addictions and other health conditions.

Kensington & Chelsea

Giving your employment provider and care team permission to talk to each other:

We encourage you to give your employment provider and care team permission to talk to each other so that they can both make sure that your health and wellbeing are fully supported during your return to work. This might involve changes to the timing of medical appointments, medication changes, and help in managing symptoms and wellbeing at work.

Contact details:

Address: 180 Kilburn Park Road, London, NW6 5FA
Phone: 020 3317 5132

get directions