Side Menu ☰
- CNWL Interpreting Service
- Library and Knowledge Services
- Current awareness
- Access to online resources
- External links for liaison psychiatry
- Linked library services
- Literature searches
- Resource centres
- International Centre for Arts Psychotherapies Training (ICAPT)
- Post-qualification training for arts psychotherapists
- The Horizons Project –Honorary arts psychotherapies clinical research posts
- UKCP placements
- The ICAPT Evening Lecture Series: Drawing on Evidence in Arts Psychotherapies
- Research knowledge base
- Research projects, service evaluations and clinical audits
- Database of PhDs in arts psychotherapies
- PhDs in art therapy
- PhDs in dance movement psychotherapy
- PhDs in dramatherapy
- PhDs in music therapy
- PhDs in more than one medium of arts therapies
- Education and training
- Family therapy and systemic practice courses
- Motivational interviewing courses
- Resuscitation courses
- Infection, prevention and control
- Postgraduate medical education
- Have a basic understanding of the theory of motivational interviewing and it’s application with different clients
- Have a basic understanding of the skills necessary for practice, with clients considering behaviour change
- Be in a position to consider joining the extended course in motivational interviewing.
- Have an understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of Motivational Interviewing and the evidence base for this intervention with different clients
- Have had the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to facilitate Motivational Interviewing with clients considering behaviour change
- Have achieved 30 credits towards a diploma or a degree with University of West London.
Motivational interviewing courses
Motivational interviewing is a collaborative, goal oriented style of communication with particular attention to the language of change.
We offer three courses in motivational interviewing at two central London training venues:
Who are the courses for?
Nurses, healthcare assistants, health visitors, district nurses, occupational therapists, clinical psychologists, physiotherapists, psychiatrists and other health and social care staff working with clients considering or ambivalent about behaviour change. There is strong evidence for MI in Substance Misuse, Mental Health, Criminal Justice, Primary Care, Sexual Health, Smoking Cessation, Eating Disorders, Health Visiting and medication adherence.
Applicants must be able to have access to ongoing clients and are expected to submit videos for supervision.
This course provides participants interested in the extended course with a ‘taster’. This taster is free-of-charge for CNWL staff and external applicants.
This course is now full and we are unable to accept further applications.
This course provides an introduction to motivational interviewing, its uses, techniques and basic theory.
By the end of the course, participants will:
This course costs £200 for external applicants.
One-day per week over 13 weeks.
This accredited course provides participants with the opportunity to learn motivational interviewing skills and its applications. This is the only course of this length in the UK. It is designed for all professionals working with clients who are ambivalent about behaviour change.
By the end of the programme, participants will:
This course costs £850 for external applicants.
To register for this course, you should have already took part in the motivational interviewing taster day or a similar level of prior training in motivational interviewing skills in the last two years.
How to apply
To apply, please complete the relevant application form below and return it by email to email@example.com
CNWL staff use the forms on the internal Learning and Development Zone to apply.