Mainstream Schools Speech and Language Therapy Team

This team offers support for children and young people attending a Hillingdon mainstream state school.

We provide speech and language therapy in mainstream primary and secondary schools in Hillingdon to support children and young people with identified moderate and severe speech, language and communication difficulties. 

We empower staff to support speech, language and communication needs. We support school staff to use strategies. activities and advice that can be used across the school day. Read more about the therapy sessions.

Who is this service for?

We support children and young people who may have difficulties with:

  • Understanding what the teacher is saying in lessons
  • Using word endings and including small grammatical words when they are talking and writing
  • Explaining or expressing more complicated ideas and thoughts
  • Making friends, having conversations and understanding social rules such as taking turns, staying on the same topic and maintaining eye contact
  • Saying sounds clearly, speaking fluently and speaking in school, even if they speak at home.

How we work in schools

Our therapists will work in different ways according to the needs of the child or young person and the school. The needs of the children or young people and the level of support to be offered are discussed by the therapist and agreed with the school’s special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). Read more about the therapy support offered.

Each school is allocated an amount of speech and language therapy time per year depending on the needs of the children at the school. All schools have the option to buy more speech and language therapy resources in addition to their basic allocation.

We support both children and young people with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan and those who do not have it.

Children or young people who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan with speech and language therapy identified as a requirement will receive their identified provision.

There is limited capacity for the service to take on new referrals. Potential new referrals are discussed and prioritised each term between the SENCO and the school’s link speech and language therapist.

The service has provided schools with resources, advice and training which schools can use to support children and young people.

The Inclusion Team (London Borough of Hillingdon) also provides training and support to schools.

Who else do we work with

We work alongside a range of professionals including teachers, learning support assistants, SENCOs, educational psychologists, paediatricians and the Inclusion Team. Learn more at the Hillingdon Local Offer website.

To make sure that your child receives the best care, it may sometimes be helpful for us to contact other professionals about your child and share information together. We will seek your consent beforehand.

Using interpreters

An interpreter can be provided to help in meetings with the speech and language therapist or over the telephone. There is no cost to anybody for this service.

Please let your speech and language therapist know if you would like us to arrange this for you by contacting the Central Referral and Messaging Service line on 01895 488 200 or e-mail 

There are some exceptions where school age children or young people attending a Hillingdon mainstream state school may be seen by other Hillingdon speech and language therapy teams:

Children and young people seen by the Early Years Team:

  • Reception age children with a speech and sound difficulty only
  • Infant age children with a stammer
  • Infant age children who have voice problems
  • School age children and young people going through multi-disciplinary assessment of their social communication skills at the Child Development Centre (seen for assessment only)
  • School age children where there are concerns about their ability to eat, drink and swallow safely
  • School age children who have had an acquired brain injury where their needs are best met by a different team.

Children and young people seen by the Hearing Impairment Team:

  • School age children and young people with a permanent sensori neural severe to profound hearing loss who wear a cochlear implant or radio aids and have speech, language and communication difficulties.

What if my child is not attending a Hillingdon state school?

Special schools in Hillingdon, along with several of the Special Resource Provisions (SRPs), directly employ their own speech and language therapist.

For children and young people attending independent or out-of-borough schools without a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health and Care Plan, or for children being home schooled, we can offer a review every term in a clinic or health centre with a home and/or school programme of advice if parents want to access this service.

Children or young people attending an out-of-borough school that have a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health and Care Plan from Hillingdon will have their speech and language therapy delivered in school by another provider. Parents and carers can contact the Special Educational Needs Department at the Local Authority to make sure that this is put in place.

Contact details:

Address: Central Referral and Messaging Service. Lines are open Monday - Friday (excluding bank holidays) 8.30am-4.30pm
Phone: 01895 488 200

Tell us, we're listening

  • If you would like to give feedback about the Speech and Language Therapy Service, please visit our feedback page or call Patient Support Services on 0300 0134799.

Find us on