CNWL bake off celebrates 71 years of the NHS
5 July 2019
Today (Friday 5 July 2019) CNWL held a bake off to celebrate 71 years of the NHS.
Staff from across the Trust put on their chef’s hat to bring their best cakes to the table.
All proceeds from the bake off competition are to be donated to CNWL’s charity, the Trust Charitable Fund.
It was a tough choice for the judges but they chose Nigel Tazzyman’s Rose and Pistachio Polent Cake as the winner (pictured).
Nigel, who is our Deputy Director of ICT and Head of Commercial, has agreed to share his secret recipe with all:
- 100 grams pistachios
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams polenta
- One tea spoon baking powder
- 225 grams of softened butter
- 225 grams of caster sugar
- Three large eggs
- One lemon.
- 75 grams of icing sugar
- One tea spoon of rose water
- Rose petals
- 50 grams of pistachio.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Line base and sides with 20cm of tin foil
- Place pistachios in food processor and pulse flour
- Add to bowl with grand almonds, polenta and baking powder
- Add butter and sugar and cream together until fluffy
- Add one egg at a time and beat well after each egg
- Stir in dry ingredients
- Grate in lemon zest
- Beat until smooth
- Scrape batter into tin
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes
- Take out and let it cool
- For icing, mix sugar with rose water until you get a thick consistency
- Drizzle over cake, sprinkle over pistachios and petals.