How to access your health records

We are happy to facilitate access to your records. We can provide informal access through your doctor or other practitioner. Just ask to see your recent notes (less than 40 days old) and they will discuss them with you.

We can provide you with copies of your information too if you make a formal request:
Request access to your health records (opens DOC)

Please fully complete the form and send it, along with acceptable proof of identity (as listed on the form), to the site at which you had your most recent appointment, or to the address below if you are unsure:

Health Records
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
Gordon Hospital
Bloomburg Street

London SW1V 2RH

On receipt of your completed request, and proof of identity, we will commence the process of dealing with your request; this process will normally take up to one month.

Before health records can be viewed or released there are a number of processes that we are legally obliged to follow under the Data Protection (Subject Access Modification) (Health) Order 2000. This includes reviewing the notes for any information that may cause serious harm and any third party information.

Possible charges

Initial access is provided free of charge.

For further requests for the same information a reasonable fee may be charged to cover CNWL administration costs. 

A reasonable fee can also be charged where the request is 'manifestly unfounded.' 'Excessive ' or under the Access to Health Records Act 1990.

We may also refuse the request where it is 'manifestly unfounded' 'or excessive.' 

More information

If you need more information or have any questions, please contact the Senior Information Governance Officer on email

How do I complain about the contents of my records?

If you think that your current records contain inaccurate information, you should contact the health professional treating you and ask for it to be amended.

If you request to have your records amended, and we feel unable to make the amendment, we will attach a statement of your views to your records.
Apply to have information amended or removed from your health record (opens DOC)

If you are still not happy with the outcome, you can make written requests to the Information Commissioner (the authority responsible for regulating and enforcing the Data Protection Act) at the following address:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Telephone: 0303 123 1113

Related information