The aim of the service is to identify offenders with learning disabilities within the courts and the prisons, assesses the extent of those needs and makes recommendations for more suitable interventions.
We offer specialist assessment and treatment for offenders with learning disabilities who have problems with:
- Violent behaviour
- Inappropriate sexual behaviour
- Extreme challenging behaviour
- Dual diagnosis (learning disability and mental illness)
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
What we offer
- Screening for individuals who may have learning disabilities and may benefit from further specialist assessments & intervention;
- Make a recommendation, where appropriate, for formal psychological/psychiatric assessments and ensure that the offender receives the appropriate specialist service intervention;
- Offer the court alternatives to custody to support an offender with a learning disability, for example, access to specialist inpatient services at the Kingswood Centre or signposting those individuals not eligible for custody to other community services that could appropriately address their needs;
- Provide specialist multi-disciplinary treatment for vulnerable offenders such as nursing, psychotherapeutic intervention and reasonable adjustments such easy read documents;
- Reduce the likelihood of re-offending.
The service is based at the Kingswood Centre with assessments being carried out in HMYOI Feltham, HMP Holloway as well as Hendon and Hammersmith Magistrates Courts.
Call us to discuss any questions you may have.
Bus: 79, 114, 288, 305, 324, 606, 628, 688
Tube: Kingsbury, Queensbury