Arts therapists (art psychotherapists)

An art therapist helps people to develop new ways to communicate what they are thinking or feeling, through art. Art therapy may help you find out more about yourself, which can lead to positive changes. You do not have to be good at art to find this useful.

Child psychotherapists

Child psychotherapists offer longer and more in-depth therapy to understand your inner world, and how your past and present experiences have shaped how you manage situations and relationships.

Family therapists (family and systemic psychotherapists)

Family Therapists will see you and/or your family to help each other when they may be experiencing difficulties.

When some people in your family are having difficulties, it can affect everyone in the family.

We believe that by talking together in different ways, we can help to improve relationships, and help everyone understand each other better.


CAMHS nurses are specially trained ‘talking nurses’. They work with young people and their families in managing and improving mental health. They are very good at listening and talking about things that upset young people. CAMHS nurses work closely with all members of the team and can help young people and their carers to work out practical ways of coping with upsetting things. They provide information and advice and work with everyone involved to find positive steps forward.

Primary mental health workers

Primary mental health workers work with young people who are having problems with their thoughts, feelings or behaviour. They often work in clinics, schools and homes. They also give training and support to other adults who work with young people, such as teachers and nurses.


Psychiatrists are doctors who are specially trained to work with and help young people with mental health problems. They meet with young people with all sorts of emotional difficulties, but also often see young people who have more worrying experiences. If your problems mean you need help to stay safe. Psychiatrists are often asked to help. They may prescribe medicines for you if necessary and you can talk to them if you have any worries or concerns about taking medicine. Psychiatrists will also help arrange for you to go to a hospital if you need to.

Psychologists (clinical psychologists)

Clinical Psychologists have an understanding of the difficulties you may face as you grow up.

We work with young people and adults, and have experience in all types of things that might affect you or your family.

We are here to support you to cope with any difficulties that you may be having about how you are feeling, behaving or thinking.

Can I change the person who is working with me?

If you would like a different person to work with you at CAMHS, please tell your CAMHS worker or another grown-up. It won’t make us cross – we really want to hear what you think about coming here and find out what works for you.