Many young people feel lonely and isolated. We can feel alone and on our own even when we are not alone and surrounded by people, and for all sorts of different reasons.
Examples of situations or experiences that may make you feel alone include:
- Moving somewhere new or a new school
- Finding it difficult to make friends
- If you feel anxious or low in mood
- If you have been the victim of bullying
You might also feel lonely or isolated if you're experiencing feelings that you don't think other people will understand, or are struggling with your emotions.
Even if you feel alone during times like these, remember there are things you can do and people you can get help from.
- It is a good idea talk to someone you trust about how you're feeling. Try talking to an adult you trust – such as a teacher or parent.
- Try joining new group activities such as after school clubs or group hobbies such as sports and drama.
- Visit Kooth
- Visit Childline for some useful tips on how to overcome feeling lonely.