Posted on: 11 January 2022
Happy New Year!
Welcome to the launch of our CNWL Improvement Academy and our new Improvement Academy Newsletter which replaces our monthly Quality Improvement (QI) Newsletter.
Here is a video (opens link) of Dr Con Kelly, Chief Medical Officer, introducing the Improvement Academy.
The New Year is a great opportunity for new beginnings and a fresh start and that is exactly what we have decided to do. Ever ambitious, we are building on our QI expertise and experience over the last four years to take our improvement work to a more reaching level and are introducing an Improvement Academy for the Trust.
In this issue we explain the Improvement Academy vision and how our improvement work will expand wider than the QI programme. We also introduce a new look Improvement Academy website at https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/ia and you may notice that our Twitter handle has been updated to @CNWLImprovement.
Reflecting on 2021, we present the 2021 infographic and celebrate achievements and milestones in the last year including our successful annual conference, The Safety Conversation Day, held on the 11 November.
As we look ahead to what 2022 will bring, we outline our exciting plans for the Improvement Academy in the next year.
The Improvement Academy
Dr Con Kelly said; “The Improvement Academy brings an exciting opportunity for the Trust to further expand our improvement work, enhance our improvement capability, strengthen our improvement leadership and boost our reputation as being a leader in the improvement agenda both nationally and internationally.”
Whilst continuing to use the Model for Improvement as our main approach to improvement, the Improvement Academy will look to support wider improvement initiatives e.g. using improvement science to make process improvements, using Lean methodologies, experienced based co-design, collaborative improvement programmes, systematic reviews, and much more.
Our ambitious vision in the next 4 years is to have:
- A workforce that has the knowledge, skills and confidence to continually strive for safety, improvement and excellence throughout CNWL
- Improvement work as part of the DNA of the organisation
- An improvement network focused on delivering better health and safer services
- The ability to provide improvement expertise and training both internally and externally and provide income generation for the Trust
- Improvement Awards to celebrate successful improvement work
- An Improvement Fund to award funding to innovative improvement initiative
- Silent business (corporate) processes
- A strong reputation as a leader in improvement work not only in London but nationally and internationally
- Numerous publications and posters evidencing our successful improvement work
- The status as being the preferred partner when it comes to improvement initiatives across the sector
We are just starting this journey and will keep you informed on both our progress and how you can get involved.
Our New Education Programme
Our new education programme offers a wide range of training to staff from entry level introduction to QI to more specialist training. Bespoke training is also included in this programme.
The Improvement Academy will also offer a wide range of improvement support for your improvement initiatives.
Improvement Academy Website
Our new look website offers more details on the Improvement Academy and is the “go-to” place for all our news and information. It also gives quick access on how to book training.
CNWL Quality Improvement Infographic 2021
Reflecting on 2021 here are some of the milestones and highlights of the QI Programme.