The Maternity Trauma and Loss Care service is for women, pregnant people and those who have experienced pregnancy or birth, hereafter referred to as ‘the patient’.
We work in partnership with local maternity units. And the service has been developed in conjunction with Experts by Experience with the invaluable input of women and families who have faced maternity trauma and loss. The service aims to meet the needs of women, pregnant people and those who have experienced pregnancy or birth. We also help those affected by psychological distress as a result of severe fear of childbirth, birth trauma or baby loss in a gentle, empathic way. We’re dedicated to helping alleviate suffering and distress.
We are a small team of:
- Psychological practitioners
- Specialist midwives
We are passionate about, and dedicated to, supporting women, pregnant people and those who have experienced pregnancy or birth, through this difficult time in their lives. We are open, friendly and welcoming. We are always keen to hear your feedback about using the service, to ensure it best meets your needs.
The service is being rolled out in a phased way – see the referral criteria for more information about who can refer at this stage.
The maternity trauma and loss care service is for people:
- Aged 18+
- If you are registered with a GP in the Milton Keynes catchment area
For whom any of the following apply:
- You have a severe fear of childbirth (with or without previous experience of pregnancy)
- You're currently pregnant (and booked for maternity care with Milton Keynes Hospital), have had a pregnancy or have given birth in the past 18 months, and are affected by:
- A traumatic birth
- Trauma due to baby loss during pregnancy or within the first year (please note that we only accept referrals that are one-month post trauma/loss to allow for natural grieving/healing processes)
- You've experienced other Maternity trauma events or experiences which are negatively impacting their current pregnancy or experience of parenting during the first year after giving birth.
Please note that this service is currently unable to provide support for parents who have a baby that is no longer in their care; this includes women whose baby is in the care of the Local Authority.
We offer individualised and evidence-based care, taking into account what has or hasn’t helped in the past. We will work with women, pregnant people and those who have experienced pregnancy or birth, to ensure that treatment is suited to meet their particular needs.
Our team offers:
- Individual talking therapies
- Group therapies
- Emotional support
- Detailed birth planning
- Advice on other services that may be helpful now or in the future
- Information on support services for partners and significant others.
- Advice, Consultation and Training to partner professionals
The service referrals from health and social care professionals, such as GPs, midwives or health visitors through the Milton Keynes Single Point of Access. Consent must be obtained before any professional initiates a referral.
What happens after referral?
We will contact you by your preferred method within two weeks to let you know whether our service is suitable to offer you a specialist assessment. It's fine to contact us if you haven't heard from us, please contact us on: 01908 724 362
All referrals will be triaged by a maternity trauma and loss care clinician, and if it's established that the service is suitable to provide support or treatment, an initial assessment appointment will be offered.
Initial assessments will take place either face-to-face or online, as appropriate. If it's considered that there is a more appropriate service available, you will be contacted to discuss this further and offered advice and support with a referral to an alternative service.
Interpreting and translation
An interpreter can be requested to be present at appointments, either in person, via video or over the phone. It's also possible to request written information to be translated. Please let the team know if an interpreter or translation is required.
CNWL Milton Keynes
01908 724 362
Please be aware that the MK-MTLC Service is not an urgent / emergency service.
If help is required urgently, please contact our out-of-hours, CNWL urgent advice line on 0800 023 4650.