The CAMHS urgent care teams work in conjunction with local hospitals and existing local CAMHS services to provide access for children and young people up to the age of 18 to a dedicated crisis and liaison service when they are experiencing an acute mental health or emotional crisis.
Our aim is that young people are seen by a CAMHS clinician at first point of contact no matter what time of day or night. We provide rapid response, prompt assessment and where appropriate time limited brief interventions by CAMHS urgent care clinicians.
Reasons for urgent referral include:
- Following an overdose
- Following an incident of self-harm, or for treatment of self-harm
- Acute anxiety
- A dramatic and unexplained change in mood or behaviour
We can also offer consultation on cases in which it may not be immediately clear what the presenting concerns and risks are to ensure that the safeguarding needs of children and young people are paramount.
The CAMHS Urgent team (UCT) operates from three hubs within the Central and North West London CCG areas:
- Hillingdon UCT Hub serving Hillingdon Hospital
- Brent & Harrow UCT serving Northwick Park Hospital
- Kensington, Chelsea and Westminster UCT (KCW) serving Chelsea & Westminster Hospital in Kensington & Chelsea and St Mary’s Hospital in Westminster.
Referrals can be made directly from A&E or Community CAMHS teams.
For more information on the Urgent Care Team please see our leaflet linked to the right of this page.