Hawthorne Intermediate Care Unit (HICU) provides intermediate care for rehabilitation and step-up beds for patients requiring short-term inpatient care.
The unit provides:
- Intermediate care beds for patients requiring a full multidisciplinary rehabilitation programme
- Step-up beds for short-term inpatient care and to prevent acute hospital admission (accessed via Hillingdon Rapid Response Service)
The unit is nurse-led and is staffed by a multi-disciplinary team including a dedicated ward pharmacist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, nurses, and activities coordinator. Link nurses for tissue viability, continence, and infection prevention and control provide support advice and training for the unit.
Medical cover for the ward is provided by The Hillingdon Hospitals Care of the Elderly Team and Hillingdon Rapid Response Service work closely with the service to ensure patients receive well-planned and facilitated discharges to enable seamless transfer back into the community.
Patients must be registered with a Hillingdon general practitioner (GP) and live in Hillingdon.
The service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, throughout the year.
Visiting hours are from 14:00-17:00 and 18:00-20:00.
Bus: U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, U7
Tube: Uxbridge and Hillingdon (Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines)
Parking: Pay and display
If you need help in a crisis, please do the following
- Contact the CNWL service looking after you during their office hours
- If the crisis is during when your service is closed, there are alternative options provided by the NHS found on this page.
- If you are not already being looked after by CNWL or elsewhere within the NHS, see your GP during normal working hours as they can then refer you to a local service.
Find your closest GP on NHS Choices.