Hillingdon Community Children's Nursing Team provides skilled nursing care and support for children with acute, chronic and complex needs. The service is provided in their own homes.
The service also provides case management support (integrating services around the needs of individuals with long-term conditions) for children with the most complex needs.
In addition, the team provides education and training for children, their carers, statutory and voluntary organisations.
Examples of the complex conditions that we provide care for include:
- Eczema, oncology, and blood pressure monitoring
- Anaphylaxis for children under five
- Enteral feeding (nasogastric, nasojejunal or gastrostomies)
- Intravenous infusions
- Palliative and terminal care
- Respiratory care, for example care for oxygen-dependent infants, and non-invasive ventilation
- Stoma care
- Tracheotomy management
- Wound management
The service is offered to children with complex needs under the age of 18 who require nursing care at home. Referrals are accepted for children who are resident in Hillingdon and registered with a Hillingdon general practitioner (GP), or are Hillingdon resident with a Buckinghamshire, Berkshire East, Harrow, Hounslow or West Hertfordshire GP.
The service is not available to patients with mental health issues, enuresis (bedwetting), or requiring home ventilation.
The team is not able to provide a continence assessment or continuing care assessments if the patient is not already on the team caseload.
The team accepts referrals from GPs and healthcare professionals. Referrals can be made by completing a referral form and returning it by fax, email or post.
Diabetes patients being assessed by the specialist nurse based at Hillingdon Hospital will be seen by the team once their condition is stable. The team will work closely and meet regularly with the hospital’s specialist nurses, and will follow and implement the jointly agreed paediatric diabetes care pathway to ensure a seamless service for patients.
The service operates from 8.30am to 4.30pm every day.
Bus: A10, H98, U4, U7
Train: Great Western Railway
Tube: Metropolitan and Piccadilly
The Paediatric Community Matron works with identified GP practices in the Yiewsley area. All referrals to the Paediatric Community Matron should be made directly to Yiewsley Health Centre, 20 High Street, Yiewsley, UB7 7DP (telephone 01895 443686).
If you need help in a crisis, please do the following
- Contact the CNWL service looking after you during their office hours
- If the crisis is during when your service is closed, there are alternative options provided by the NHS found on this page.
- If you are not already being looked after by CNWL or elsewhere within the NHS, see your GP during normal working hours as they can then refer you to a local service.
Find your closest GP on NHS Choices.