The Hillingdon Perinatal Mental Health Service works in partnership with The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Maternity Service, primary care community services including community midwifery, health visitors and GPs, Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT), Hillingdon Children and Adult social care services and voluntary organisations.
The service offers assessment and treatment to women experiencing mental health difficulties during pregnancy and within the first year after delivery. This specialist care is delivered close to the maternity unit of your choice, your home or in community centres depending on your preference. You are entitled to access this service even if you choose to deliver your baby at a hospital different from Hillingdon as long as you are a Hillingdon resident or you are registered with a GP in Hillingdon.
- Preconception advice for women with complex or severe mental health problems
- Assessment and care for women with mental health needs during pregnancy and for 12 months after birth (many women do not need to be seen for the whole 12 months)
- Advice on the risks and benefits of using mental health medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Care planning for pregnant women with severe mental health problems
- Planning for the postnatal period to promote wellbeing and prevent relapse
- Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on a woman’s mental health
- Facilitating access to the most appropriate type of psychological interventions
- Advice and support on the mother-infant relationship.
- Training and education to service users and their partners, relatives and friends, health and social care professionals and voluntary organisations.
Women aged over 18 years, registered with a Hillingdon GP or resident in Hillingdon can be referred at any stage of their pregnancy. You are entitled to access the service even if you decide to book your antenatal care in a hospital different from Hillingdon.
The service considers referrals from GPs, midwives, obstetricians, health visitors, mental health professionals and other health professionals.
The service is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm (closed on public holidays).
Please note this is not an emergency service. If you are in a crisis and you need urgent help, please contact your GP or the out of hours urgent advice and crisis support on 0800 0234 650.
U1: (Ruislip - Uxbridge Station - Hillingdon Hospital)
U2: (Uxbridge Station - Hillingdon Station - Hillingdon Hospital)
U3: (Uxbridge Station - Hillingdon Hospital - West Drayton - Heathrow)
U4: (Uxbridge Station - Hillingdon Hospital - Hayes)
U5: (Uxbridge Station - Cowley Road - Hillingdon Hospital - West Drayton - Hayes)
U7: (Uxbridge Station - Hillingdon Hospital - Hayes End)
975: Tuesdays only- This is a wheelchair-accessible mobility bus. (West Drayton, Royal Lane, Hillingdon Hospital, Hillingdon Hill, Uxbridge Station)
Rail: West Drayton station
Underground: Uxbridge station (Piccadilly or Metropolitan lines)
Car: Parking is very limited at Hillingdon Hospital
Multilingual Perinatal Mental Health awareness-raising films
Dr Zahera Kapasi Talks About Perinatal Mental Health in Gujarati
General Practitioner Dr Anita Raja talks about perinatal mental health in Urdu
Psychotherapist Amandeep Soomal talks about perinatal mental health in Punjabi
Psychotherapist Katarina Rigova talks about perinatal mental health in Slovak
Midwife Faiza Rehman talks about perinatal mental health in Mirpuri
General Practitioner Doctor Anita Raja talks about perinatal mental health problems in Dari.