The Chelsea and Westminster Perinatal Mental Health Service works in partnership with The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, primary care community services including community midwifery, health visitors and GPs, Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT), Kensington and Chelsea Children and Adult social care services and voluntary organisations.
The service offers assessment and treatment to women experiencing mental health difficulties during pregnancy and within the first year after delivery. This specialist care is delivered close to the maternity unit of your choice, your home or in community centres depending on your preference. You are entitled to access this service even if you choose to deliver your baby at a hospital different from Chelsea and Westminster as long as you are a Kensington and Chelsea resident or you are registered with a GP within the borough.
Women experiencing mental health difficulty during pregnany and within the first year after delivery.
- Preconception advice for women with complex or severe mental health problems
- Assessment and care for women with mental health needs during pregnancy and for 12 months after birth (many women do not need to be seen for the whole 12 months)
- Advice on the risks and benefits of using mental health medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Care planning for pregnant women with severe mental health problems
- Planning for the postnatal period to promote wellbeing and prevent relapse
- Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on a woman’s mental health
- Facilitating access to the most appropriate type of psychological interventions
- Advice and support of the mother-infant relationship
- Training and education to our service users and their partners, relatives and friends, health and social care professionals and voluntary organisations.
The clinics are located in:
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 9NH antenatal clinic, maternity outpatient and parent infant mental health outpatient
- Earl’s Court Medical Centre, 248 Earl’s Court Road, Earl’s Court, London, SW5 9AD
- Earl’s Court Health and Wellbeing Centre, 2b Hogarth Road, Earl’s Court, London SW5 0PT
- Kensington and Chelsea children's centres
Women aged over 18 years, registered with a Kensington and Chelsea GP or resident in Kensington and Chelsea can be referred at any stage of their pregnancy. You are entitled to access the service even if you decide to book your antenatal care in a hospital different from Chelsea and Westminster.
The service considers referrals from GPs, midwives, obstetricians, health visitors, mental health professionals and other health professionals.
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays)
Please note this is not an emergency service. If you are in a crisis and you need urgent help, please contact your GP or the out of hours urgent advice and crisis support on 0800 0234 650.
Bus: 14, 2, 211, 328, 345, 35, K3
Train: Overground, South Western Railway
Tube: District and Piccadilly lines
We believe that people with lived experience of mental health can make an important contribution in helping us improve our service and deliver better patient centred care. Please take a few moments to let us know what you think of our services by completing our online friends and family test survey.