The reception at Northwick Park Hospital is closed. To contact the perinatal service, please call 020 8869 2308
The Brent and Harrow Perinatal Mental Health Service works in partnership with The London North West Healthcare NHS Trust Maternity Service, primary care community services including community midwifery, health visitors and GPs, Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT), Brent and Harrow Children and Adult social care services and voluntary organisations.
The service offers assessment and treatment to women experiencing mental health difficulties during pregnancy and within the first year after delivery. This specialist care is delivered close to the maternity unit of your choice, your home or in community centres depending on your preference. You are entitled to access this service even if you choose to deliver your baby at a hospital different from Northwick Park Hospital as long as you are a Brent or Harrow resident or you are registered with a GP in Brent or Harrow.
- Preconception advice for women with complex or severe mental health problems
- Assessment and care for women with mental health needs during pregnancy and for 12 months after birth (many women do not need to be seen for the whole 12 months)
- Advice on the risks and benefits of using mental health medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Care planning for pregnant women with severe mental health problems
- Planning for the postnatal period to promote wellbeing and prevent relapse
- Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on a woman’s mental health
- Facilitating access to the most appropriate type of psychological interventions
- Advice and support on the mother-infant relationship
- Training and education to service users and their partners, relatives and friends, health and social care professionals and voluntary organisations.
The clinics are located at:
- Northwick Park Hospital Antenatal Clinic, Watford Road, Harrow, Greater London, HA1 3UJ
- Central Middlesex Hospital Antenatal Clinic, Acton Lane, London, NW10 7NS
- Alexander Avenue Health and Social care Centre, 275 Alexandra Avenue, Harrow, HA2 9DX
- Brent and Harrow children’s centres.
Women aged over 18 years, registered with a Brent or Harrow GP or resident in Brent or Harrow can be referred at any stage of the pregnancy. You are entitled to access the service even if you decide to book your antenatal care in a hospital different from Northwick Park Hospital.
The service considers referrals from GPs, midwives, obstetricians, health visitors. Mental health and other health professionals.
|182, 186, 483, 603, H91||Northwick Park (Metropolitan)|
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays)
Please note this is not an emergency service. If you are in a crisis and you need urgent help, please contact your GP or the out of hours urgent advice and crisis support on 0800 0234 650.
We believe that people with lived experience of mental health can make an important contribution in helping us improve our service and deliver better patient centred care. Please take a few moments to let us know what you think of our services by completing our online friends and family test survey.