The Milton Keynes Perinatal Mental Health Service offers treatment and support for pregnant and postnatal women experiencing mental health difficulties.
This support might be delivered at Eaglestone Health Centre, in your home or in the community depending on your preference.
If you need to see a psychiatrist, we might ask you to visit the Outpatient Department at The Campbell Centre which is also based on Milton Keynes Hospital Site.
Our team works closely with maternity services, general practitioners (GPs) and other community services such as health visitors and Children’s Centres.
This service is for pregnant and postnatal women who live in Milton Keynes or who are registered with a Milton Keynes GP.
What we offer:
- Preconception advice for women with complex or severe mental health problems
- Assessment and care for women with mental health needs during pregnancy and for 12 months after birth. Many women do not need to be seen for the whole 12 months
- Advice on the risks and benefits of using mental health medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Care planning for women with more severe mental health problems
- Planning for the postnatal period to promote wellbeing and prevent relapse
- Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on a woman’s mental health
- Facilitating access to the most appropriate type of psychological interventions – this may include a referral to our IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) Service.
You might be referred to our service if:
- You are planning a pregnancy and need advice about your mental health and treatment
- You are pregnant or have given birth in the last 12 months, and have experienced mental health problems in the past
- You have a relapse of a previous mental illness during pregnancy or in the first 12 months after your baby is born
- You have a mental illness for the first time during pregnancy or in first 12 months after birth.
We accept referrals from health and social care professionals. We are unable to accept self-referrals.
If you feel that you need to be referred to our service, please speak to your GP, midwife or health visitor who will be able to refer you.
Referrals are made to our Urgent Care Team. If the referral is urgent, the Urgent Care Team will assess you first. If your referral is not considered urgent then we will arrange for the Perinatal Service to do an initial assessment. Referrals must be made using the Talk for Change referral from and emailed to: email@example.com
If you are unable to email the referral form, it can be delivered to posted to us. We no longer accept referrals by fax.
If the referral is critical, please also call us on 01908 725099 and select Option 1 to let the team know that a critical referral is being sent.
|Bus||1, 4, 5/5A, 18, 19, 24, 25, 28/29, 32|
|Rail||Milton Keynes Central|
|Car||Pay and display|
The service is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (closed on public holidays)