The Milton Keynes Perinatal Mental Health Service offers treatment and support for pregnant and postnatal women experiencing mental health difficulties.
This support might be delivered at Eaglestone Health Centre, in your home or in the community depending on your preference.
Our team works closely with maternity services, general practitioners (GPs) and other community services such as health visitors and Children’s Centres.
This service is for pregnant and postnatal women who live in Milton Keynes or who are registered with a Milton Keynes GP.
What we offer:
- Preconception advice for women with complex or severe mental health problems
- Assessment and care for women with mental health needs before and during pregnancy, and up to 24 months after delivery if there is an identified perinatal need
- Advice on the risks and benefits of using mental health medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Care planning for women with more severe mental health problems
- Planning for the postnatal period to promote wellbeing and prevent relapse
- Identification and management of the impact of obstetric complications on a woman’s mental health
- Facilitating access to the most appropriate type of psychological interventions – this may include a referral to our IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) Service.
You might be referred to our service if there is an identified perinatal need and:
- You are planning a pregnancy and need advice about your mental health and treatment
- You are pregnant or have given birth in the last 24 months, and have experienced mental health problems in the past
- You have a relapse of a previous mental illness during pregnancy or in the first 24 months after your baby is born
- You have a mental illness for the first time during pregnancy or in first 24 months after birth.
We accept referrals from health and social care professionals. We are unable to accept self-referrals.
If you feel that you need to be referred to our service, please speak to your GP, midwife or health visitor who will be able to refer you.
Referrals are made to our SPA (Single Point of Access) in our MK Community Mental Health Hub. If the referral is urgent, the hub may assess you first, or refer you onto our Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team. If your referral is not considered urgent then we will arrange for the Perinatal Service to do an initial assessment. Referrals must be made using the Mental Health Referral Form – Professionals referral form and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the referral is critical, please also call the SPA on 01908 724365 to let the team know that a critical referral is being sent.
We no longer accept referrals by post or fax.
|Bus||1, 4, 5/5A, 18, 19, 24, 25, 28/29, 32|
|Rail||Milton Keynes Central|
|Car||Pay and display|
The service is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (closed on public holidays)
Multilingual Perinatal Mental Health awareness-raising films
Dr Zahera Kapasi Talks About Perinatal Mental Health in Gujarati
General Practitioner Dr Anita Raja talks about perinatal mental health in Urdu
Psychotherapist Amandeep Soomal talks about perinatal mental health in Punjabi
Psychotherapist Katarina Rigova talks about perinatal mental health in Slovak
Midwife Faiza Rehman talks about perinatal mental health in Mirpuri
General Practitioner Doctor Anita Raja talks about perinatal mental health problems in Dari.