Welcome to the CNWL Check in & Chat Service
A friendly, compassionate and supportive service for individuals who may be experiencing loneliness, isolation, exhaustion, poor mental health or who just feel they need a listening ear. You might be a carer or a patient or service user.
When you access this phone service, you will get a phone call once a week for 8 weeks. Each phone call will last up to one hour and with the same person, so you get to know them and they get to know you.
We call this person a ‘Chatter’. The Chatter is a friendly volunteer who has been trained by CNWL Recovery College and will listen with compassion, openness and ask how you are. You can speak to the Chatter in confidence about your worries and feelings. There is no waiting list and the calls will start quickly, generally in 2 weeks.
You can talk about anything you want.
- The Chatter can work with you to find out what local services might be of benefit to you such as signposting to services, advice or practical help.
- You can talk to them about what you are experiencing together.
- Where you can get support from your local carers’ community, if you’re a carer.
- How to connect with people or your interests on the internet.
- Ways to look after your mental health and wellbeing.
- How to learn to not feel guilty about needing a break from looking after a loved one.
- You might just want to talk about your feelings and have someone listen.
- Perhaps you want to chat about hobbies or work.
- You may have an interest in exploring other cultures, languages or food.
- Courses that will help you manage your wellbeing for example.
The service is Trustwide which means we operate in any of the boroughs and areas that CNWL covers.
You can use our service if you are:
- a carer: an individual caring for someone who is a patient or service user and accessing a CNWL service.
- over 18 years old.
I’m a patient or service user. Can I access Check in & Chat?
You may be able to access the service in your borough. Please call 020 3317 5825 or email email@example.com and we’ll let you know if it’s available in your area.
More and more we have to use digital technology to stay in touch with family and friends. We have a group of friendly and patient digital support volunteers who can help you get online, gain useful digital skills, grow your confidence and stay connected. Whether you want to stay in touch with friends and family, or just feel more confident using a tablet or smartphone, our digital volunteers will support you every step of the way. We could also loan you a tablet if you need one to practise your new skills and become more tech-savvy.
Give us a call on 020 3317 5825 if you’d like to find out more. We’re happy to help you!
If you are a carer, you can self-refer in three ways by
- calling us on 020 3317 5825
- completing this referral form
- emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a professional in healthcare and want to refer a carer, please use this referral form.
If you are a patient or service user, please ask a member of your clinical team.
CNWL Chatters are friendly trained volunteers who have a keen interest in supporting others. Every so often we will open this opportunity for members of our local communities to apply to become a Chatter. If you want to know more about what the role of a Chatter is, we have this role description
If you’d like to apply to become a Chatter, you can contact us on email@example.com and we can tell you when/ if we have opportunities for you.
This role is open to CNWL staff only
Support our Chatters and Carers – become a Supervisor