Welcome to the CNWL Check in & Chat Service
A friendly, compassionate and supportive service for individuals who may be experiencing loneliness, isolation, exhaustion, poor mental health or who just feel they need a listening ear. The service is for unpaid carers of people who are accessing a CNWL service. They could be family or a friend.
When you access this phone service, you will get a phone call once a week for 8 weeks. Each phone call will last up to one hour and with the same person, so you get to know them and they get to know you.
We call this person a ‘Chatter’. The Chatter is a friendly volunteer who has been trained by CNWL Recovery College and will listen with compassion, openness and ask how you are. You can speak to the Chatter in confidence about your worries and feelings. The calls will start quickly, generally in 2 to 4 weeks.
You can talk about anything you want.
- The Chatter can work with you to find out what local services might be of benefit to you such as signposting to services, advice or practical help.
- You can talk to them about what you are experiencing together.
- Where you can get support from your local carers’ community, if you’re a carer.
- How to connect with people or your interests on the internet.
- Ways to look after your mental health and wellbeing.
- How to learn to not feel guilty about needing a break from looking after a loved one.
- You might just want to talk about your feelings and have someone listen.
- Perhaps you want to chat about hobbies or work.
- You may have an interest in exploring other cultures, languages or food.
- Courses that will help you manage your wellbeing for example.
The service is Trustwide which means we operate in any of the boroughs and areas that CNWL covers.
You can use our service if you are:
- a carer: an individual caring for someone who is a patient or service user and accessing a CNWL service.
- over 18 years old.
Am I a carer? Please read our “Information for carers” page to check.
More and more we have to use digital technology to stay in touch with family and friends. We have a group of friendly and patient digital support volunteers who can help you get online, gain useful digital skills, grow your confidence and stay connected. Whether you want to stay in touch with friends and family, or just feel more confident using a tablet or smartphone, our digital volunteers will support you every step of the way. We could also loan you a tablet if you need one to practise your new skills and become more tech-savvy.
Give us a call on 020 7685 5638 if you’d like to find out more. We’re happy to help you!
CNWL Chatters are friendly trained volunteers who have a keen interest in supporting others. Every so often we will open this opportunity for members of our local communities to apply to become a Chatter. If you want to know more about what the role of a Chatter is, we have this role description.
We are not looking for Chatters at the moment, but if you are interested in this role, please email email@example.com expressing yoru interest and we will be in touch when the role becomes available.
Expression of Interest form online here. This role is open to CNWL staff only
Support our Chatters and Carers – become a Supervisor
- Gain supervisory experience
- Understand the diverse needs of a carer
- Rewarding role where you can help our volunteer Chatters grow in to their role
- See role description online here and Expression of Interest form online here