Milton Keynes Children with Complex Needs Service offers home care and medical supplies for children with complex needs in Milton Keynes.
The service provides nursing care and support to families of children and young people who have complex medical needs, palliative care needs, requiring End of Life Care, complex epilepsy, neurodisabilities and degenerative conditions. The team will also start supporting children and young people with complex continence issues in 2023.
The service is available for children and young people who are registered with a Milton Keynes General Practitioner (GP)
To be eligible to access the service, individuals must be aged 18 and under, and meet at least one of the following criteria
- Have a severe, unpredictable or complex medical condition
- A complex medical condition that indicates a very high use of healthcare service
- Have a life-limiting illness where it is expected not to reach adulthood
- Have a long-term or complex condition which makes them medically unstable and requiring frequent input from a health professional and/or regular hospital admissions for complex condition
- Have complex Epilepsy
- Requiring medical supplies that cannot be provided by the GP
- Have Complex Continence Needs requiring specialist input (from January 2023)
The Children with Complex Needs Team comprises of Paediatric Nurses and a Health Care Assistant who supports as the Service Administrator. Within the team is an Epilepsy Specialist Nurse and a Transition Specialist Nurse who work across the team.
Children and young people can be referred to the service by any professional who feels that child or young person meets any of the above criteria. Please either call the team or email to request a referral form.
Please ensure the child or young person has a Milton Keynes GP.
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays we have on a call provision of one nurse who is available for telephone advice for registered patients between 9.30am and 4.30pm. The on-call nurse is also able to provide home visits for nasogastric tube repassing and assessments if the child or young person is unwell (Last visit 4pm).
Help Outside of Working Hours
- NHS 111
- Redbox Access for those children or young people who are eligible
- Milton Keynes Urgent Care Centre
- Dial 999 for emergencies
Train: Milton Keynes Central Station
If you need help in a crisis, please do the following
- Contact the CNWL service looking after you during their office hours
- If the crisis is during when your service is closed, there are alternative options provided by the NHS found on this page.
- If you are not already being looked after by CNWL or elsewhere within the NHS, see your GP during normal working hours as they can then refer you to a local service.
Find your closest GP on NHS Choices.
Office: 01908 724511 (Mon to Fri 0900 to 1700hrs)
Email: cnw-tr.ComplexNeedsTeam@nhs.net (mailbox monitored Mon to Fri)