26 November 2021
The virtual launch of Best for you happened this week with CNWL’s Chief Executive, Claire Murdoch and Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Frances Connan.
Leading NHS Trusts including CNWL, West London NHS Trust, Chelsea & Westminster NHS FT and the charity CW+ have come together and made a commitment to improve mental health care and treatment in North West London by creating Best For You.
Best For You combines physical and mental health care across digital, community, day, and inpatient settings. It will:
- Make support and treatment easy to access
- Place young people at the centre of their care
- Every service providing care will be joined up and integrated with other services
- Ensuring when treating physical health concerns, a young person’s mental health is also taken into consideration and treated.
- Provide long term care to improve recovery
- Learn from mental health services around the world and co-develop services with young people and their carers and families to set a new standard for mental healthcare
Claire Murdoch said, “Everything we do with partners in supporting a young person needs to be joined up, simple, easy and clear. We’re investing more than ever before but we have to do this in partnership. This is an exciting time and we’re determined to drive the change.”
Dr Frances Connan said, “CNWL is designing a multi-purpose day centre to support young people. This day centre is going to have two key functions. The first is that too many people are given a psychiatric inpatient admission when some needs like a social crisis would benefit more from social prescribing, so working with Peer Support Workers is helpful. For others, a stay on a paediatric ward is helpful for their recovery but they need a bit longer before treatment in the community is going to be sufficient, so patients will visit every day with their family as much as possible for a family based intervention.”
View the video below that demonstrates how Best For You will help young people in North West London:
Visit the Best for You website (opens link)