George Tsakos is Professor in Dental Public Health at UCL and Honorary Consultant in Dental Public Health with the CNWL NHS Foundation Trust and with Public Health England. He was President of the European Association of Dental Public Health (EADPH) and is currently Chair of the Platform for Better Oral Health in Europe. He is involved in the development of oral health indicators for WHO, has been a key member of the consortium that carried out the national adult and children’s dental health surveys in the UK and has worked with the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA) and other epidemiological studies of ageing. He is currently leading a NIHR (Public Health Research programme) funded research project on the feasibility of the NICE guideline for oral health in older people in care homes.
- Exploring how oral health contributes to healthy ageing
- Understanding (oral) health inequalities and the social determinants of health
- Subjective outcomes of oral health and quality of life – (oral) epidemiology
- Evidence on association between oral and general health
Selected publications (out of 164)
- Guarnizo-Herreño CC, Watt RG, Garzón-Orjuela N, Suárez-Zúñiga E, Tsakos G. Health insurance and education: major contributors to oral health inequalities in Colombia. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2019;73(8):737-744.
- D'Aiuto F, Gkranias N, Bhowruth D, Khan T, Orlandi M, Suvan J, Masi S, Tsakos G, Hurel S, Hingorani AD, Donos N, Deanfield JE; TASTE Group. Systemic effects of periodontitis treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 12 month, single-centre, investigator-masked, randomised trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018;6(12):954-965.
- Tsakos G, Guarnizo-Herreño CC, O'Connor R, Wildman J, Steele JG, Allen PF. Explaining time changes in oral health-related quality of life in England: a decomposition analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2017;71(12):1203-1209.
- Pitts NB, Zero DT, Marsh PD, Ekstrand K, Weintraub JA, Ramos-Gomez F, Tagami J, Twetman S, Tsakos G, Ismail A. Dental caries. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17030.
- Tsakos G, Watt RG, Rouxel PL, de Oliveira C, Demakakos P. Tooth loss associated with physical and cognitive decline in older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2015; 63(1): 91-99.
Further details of his academic work can be found at: https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=GHTSA97