The Community Paediatric service, based at Alexandra Avenue Health and Social Care Centre, is made up of four senior Consultant Paediatricians who are specialists in the assessment and management of children and young people with complex neurodisability conditions. The child or young person must have a Harrow GP.
We look after children and young people aged 0-18 years (or up to 19 years if the young person attends a special school)
- We assess preschool children for Global Developmental Delay
- We assess and manage children with physical disabilities (including Cerebral Palsy, Post Traumatic Brain Injury), neuromuscular conditions (like Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy) and disability linked with various other genetic conditions (like Down’s syndrome)
- We provide diagnostic assessment for ASD (Social Communication Assessment Pathway) for children referred to our service under the age of 8 years
- We provide diagnostic assessment and management for ADHD presentations in children referred to us under the age of 8 years.
- We manage complex medical problems such as epilepsy and dystonia in children with neurodisability already under our care.
- We provide Child Protection medical assessments at the request of Harrow Social Services
- We provide medical advice for EHCP at the request of Harrow Education Department
- We do not provide a service for children or young people presenting with emotional or behavioural difficulties as the main concern
Our service works closely with other professionals including other medical teams, Community Nursing team, therapists (Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy), orthotists, dieticians, as well as local schools, Education Department and Harrow Social Services.
Referrals for the above conditions can be made by a Harrow GP, consultants from other medical specialties and Paediatric Therapists.
Referrals received are discussed within a multi-disciplinary professionals’ team meeting. In order to process the referral, detailed information is essential to determine whether our referral criteria are met or a different service would be most appropriate to meet the child or young person’s needs.
The Community Paediatric service is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.