Alejandro is a Principal Clinical Research Fellow at the UCL Centre for Clinical Research in Infection and Sexual Health, which is part of the Institute for Global Health, and the MRC Clinical Trials Unit within the UCL Institute of Clinical Trials and Methodology. He is also an honorary HIV Specialist Doctor with the Central North West London NHS Foundation Trust.
He is a Venezuelan physician with training in infectious diseases. In the UK he completed his MSc in Infectious and Health in the Tropics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Distinction) and obtained the Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene from the Royal College of Physicians. He gained his PhD on HIV disease from University College London in 2006.
Research interests include:
- Randomised Clinical Trials on HIV treatment strategies.
- Diagnosis and management of adverse drug reactions induced by anti-retrovirals.
- Management of comorbidities in people living with HIV, with particular focus on neuropsychiatric and metabolic complications.
- Safety and clinical events reporting processes in randomised clinical trials.
- Arenas-Pinto, A., Grund, B., Sharma, S., Martinez, E., Cummins, N., Fox, J., Klingman KL, Sedlacek D, Collins S, Flynn PM, Chasanov WM, Kedem E, Katlama C, Sierra-Madero J, Afonso C, Brouwers P, Cooper DA; INSIGHT START study group. Risk of Suicidal Behavior With Use of Efavirenz: Results from the Strategic Timing of Antiretroviral Treatment Trial. Clin Infect Dis 2018; 67(3):420-429.
- Milinkovic A, Berger F, Arenas-Pinto A, Mauss S. Lipid changes due to tenofovir alafenamide are reversible by switching back to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. AIDS 2019 [Epub ahead of print]
- Dharan, N. J., Neuhaus, J., Rockstroh, J. K., Peters, L., Gordin, F., Arenas-Pinto, A., Emerson C, Marks K, Hidalgo J, Sarmento-Castro R, Stephan C, Kumarasamy N, Emery S, Matthews GV;INSIGHT START Study Group. Benefit of early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy on progression of liver fibrosis among people with HIV in the START randomized trial. Hepatology 2019 Mar; 69(3):1135-1150.
- Haddow, L. J., Godi, C., Sokolska, M., Cardoso, M. J., Oliver, R., Winston, A., Stöhr W, Clarke A, Chen F, Williams IG, Johnson M, Paton N, Arenas-Pinto A, Golay X,Jäger, H. R. Brain perfusion, regional volumes and cognitive function in HIV positive patients treated with protease inhibitor monotherapy. Clin Infect Dis 2019; 68(6):1031-40.
- Wright, E. J., Grund, B., Robertson, K. R., Cysique, L., Brew, B. J., Collins, G. L., Poehlman-Roediger M, Vjecha MJ, Penalva de Oliveira AC, Standridge B, Carey C, Avihingsanon A, Florence E, Lundgren JD, Arenas-Pinto A, Mueller NJ, Winston A, Nsubuga MS, Lal L, Price RW; INSIGHT START Neurology Substudy Group. No Neurocognitive Advantage for Immediate Antiretroviral Treatment in adults with greater than 500 CD4+ T Cell Counts. AIDS 2018; 32(8):985-97
Further details of his academic work can be found online.