Milton Keynes Early Years Complex Needs Speech and Language Therapy Team is a specialist team which develops the communication, eating and drinking skills of pre-school-age children with longer term disabilities.
The team offers the following services:
- One-to-one and multidisciplinary assessments
- One-to-one treatment sessions in a range of settings (Child Development Centre, home, pre-school setting)
- Language groups
- Social communication groups
- Assessment and intervention for physical eating and drinking difficulties, including children on the children’s ward or Neonatal Unit
- Developing and using all forms of supported communication, including symbol books/boards, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and electronic communication aids
The service offers two highly successful training programmes for parents to help their children’s communication development:
- It Takes Two to Talk, for parents of children with speech and language difficulties
- More Than Words, for parents of children with social interaction and communication difficulties
The service is for pre-school children (0 to rising five years) with feeding, swallowing, and speech and language difficulties. Children must be registered with a Milton Keynes general practitioner (GP).
Children are referred to the service by their general practitioner (GP), health visitor, paediatrician or other healthcare professionals, such as physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
If parents have concerns that their child is experiencing physical difficulties with eating (chewing and swallowing) and drinking, they can ask their GP, health visitor or paediatrician to refer them to the service.
The service is available from 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.
The team is based at the Child Development Centre in the Milton Keynes General Hospital site and also works in a range of different locations across Milton Keynes and the surrounding villages. This includes early years education settings, where we realise the importance of working in partnership with both parents and staff at nurseries and pre-schools. This ensures that parents and professionals are consistent in their approach to helping children to develop their communication, interact with adults and peers more successfully and maximise their learning potential. We work in particularly close partnership with the two specialist provision nurseries in Milton Keynes, Cedars and Rickley Park.
|1, 150, 25, 28, 34, 6, F70||London North Western, Virgin Trains|
If you need help in a crisis, please do the following
- Contact the CNWL service looking after you during their office hours
- If the crisis is during when your service is closed, there are alternative options provided by the NHS found on this page.
- If you are not already being looked after by CNWL or elsewhere within the NHS, see your GP during normal working hours as they can then refer you to a local service.
Find your closest GP on NHS Choices.