Milton Keynes Early Years Complex Needs Speech and Language Therapy Team is a specialist team which develops the communication, eating and drinking skills of pre-school-age children with longer term difficulties.
The team offers the following services:
- One-to-one and multidisciplinary assessments
- One-to-one treatment sessions in a range of settings (Child Development Centre, home, clinic) both face-to-face and remote options are available.
- Assessment and intervention for physical eating and drinking difficulties, including children on the children’s ward or Neonatal Unit
- Developing and using all forms of supported communication, including signing, visual aids, symbol books/boards, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and electronic communication aids
The service offers two highly successful training programmes for parents to help their children’s communication development:
- It Takes Two to Talk, for parents of children with speech and language difficulties
- More Than Words, for parents of children with social interaction and communication difficulties
The service is for pre-school children (0 to rising five years) with feeding, swallowing, and speech and language difficulties. Children must be registered with a Milton Keynes general practitioner (GP).
Please complete online referral form.
For ward referrals regarding Dysphagia, please call 01908 724 600 or 01908 725 299.
The service is available from 8.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.
The team is based at the Child Development Centre on the Milton Keynes General Hospital site. We realise the importance of working in partnership with both parents and staff at nurseries and pre-schools, and so we work closely with the SEND Team - Inclusion and Assessment. We foster a Communication Team approach to ensure that parents and professionals are consistent in their approach to helping children to develop their communication, interact with adults and peers more successfully and maximise their learning potential.
Bus: 1, 150, 25, 28, 34, 6, F7
If you need help in a crisis, please do the following
- Contact the CNWL service looking after you during their office hours
- If the crisis is during when your service is closed, there are alternative options provided by the NHS found on this page.
- If you are not already being looked after by CNWL or elsewhere within the NHS, see your GP during normal working hours as they can then refer you to a local service.
Find your closest GP on NHS Choices.
- Messy play
- Objects of reference
- People games
- Ready steady go games
- Intensive interaction (video)
- Motivator choices (video)
- Ready, steady, go (video)
Eating and drinking
We value feedback about our service so please let us know about your experience by completing this survey.
CNWL also have a Patient Feedback and Complaints webpage. If you would like more information about compliments and complaints please visit that page.