Dr Shema Tariq is a Clinical Research Fellow at UCL’s Institute for Global Health, and Honorary Consultant HIV Physician at Mortimer Market Centre. She has a number of national roles including Chair of the British Association of Sexual Health and HIV’s Lay Public Research Panel, and Trustee of Positively UK. She is also immediate past Vice-Chair of the British HIV Association’s Pregnancy and HIV Guidelines Committee.
Shema qualified in Medicine from Newcastle University in 1999. She has Masters in both Medical Anthropology and Epidemiology, and a PhD in Public Health from City University London (2013). She has held a Fulbright Scholarship at Columbia University, New York and an NIHR postdoctoral research fellowship at UCL.
- HIV and women including pregnancy, menopause and research participation
- The use of digital technology to support long term HIV care
- Patient and public involvement in research
- Hay K, Kwardem L, Tariq S, Coventry L, Namiba A, Dhairyawan R, Durrant A. Support for the Supporters”: A Qualitative Study of the use of WhatsApp by and for Mentor Mothers with HIV in the UK. AIDS Care In Press.
- Namiba A, Kwardem L, Mbewe R, Murau F, Bewley S, Tariq S, Welbourn A. Perinatal peer mentoring, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and HIV. In “Complex Social Issues and the Perinatal Woman”: to be published by Springer in 2020.
- Toorabally N, Mercer C H, Mitchell K R, Blell M, Burns F, Gilson R, . . . Tariq S. (2019). Association of HIV status with sexual function in women aged 45-60 in England: results from two national surveys. AIDS Care. 2019: 1-10.
- Tariq S & BMS Medical Advisory Council. (2019). British Menopause Society Tools for Clinicians: HIV and the menopause. Post Reprod Health. 2019: 25 (1), 38-39.
- Tariq S, Burns F M, Gilson R, Sabin C. PRIME (Positive Transitions Through the Menopause) Study: a protocol for a mixed-methods study investigating the impact of the menopause on the health and well-being of women living with HIV in England. BMJ Open. 2019: 9 (6), e025497.
Further details are on this website